TFS 2012 on a Domain Controller

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Hi,

Now I know this could be looked as not the correct way to do what I want by some but I am trying to keep costs down so here I go.

I am currently building a new domain for my network and what I want to do (for many reasons but it pretty much comes down to cost) is that I want 1 Domain Controller and have TFS 2012 installed onto it.

My first question is this....

Can I install TFS 2012 on a DC?

I have seen a lot of blogs, forum etc who discuss this and the general consensus is no. However there are many other users like myself who also what to do the same.

I have been doing some testing using MEA:ALM "The Visual Guide for Building Team Foundation Server 2012 Environments-V1.0"guide (very good by the way) and when I was installing SQL Server 2012 on the Setup Support Rules Computer Domain Controller check it recommended that it should not be installed on a DC.

Does anyone have any advice on how I get round this or am I going to have to buy and build a new server just for TFS 2012?
Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Well it seems that it installs OK and the SQL server 2012 is just a recommendation warning. TFS 2012 installed without any problems on my Test VM DC so I am now going ahead with the install on my live Server.